About Me

My photo
A late 20-something Brown girl from MD sharing with you my musings on products, places, and people. Oh, and maybe some life experiences here and there too ;)

Monday, July 18, 2011

A Wicked Weekend and More ;)

Apologies for the long delay between posts................just wanted to to be able to blog about my Sunday plans :)


So some favorites and myself bought tix way back in February (?) for Wicked at Kennedy Center for Sunday night.  And WOW, the show was great!!!!  I have to give kudos to the 2 great voices that played the Good Witch and the Wicked Witch.  These girls had an amazing set of pipes and their talents were very complementary in the show.


I had read the book back way back when in college, and I thought it was pretty good.  I was not a fan of the writing style of Gregory Maguire.  But the show was wayyyyy better than the book for me.  To say the least, I sort of felt mesmerized/enraptured by all the lights and effects and costumes!  Oh my gosh, the costumes were top-notch.  Oh (Ga)Linda!  Your dress was soooo sparkly!  If I had been able to take photos to share with you, I would've.........but truly, it felt very much like movie magic in that theater.  The quips were funny, the set transitions were seamless, and the story never stalled or was slow.  So those few hours in my seat were never really felt.  I guess that's the benefit of seeing a long-running show - it ends up playing out like clockwork.


As Beau and I had discussed after the show, we miss, somewhat, the days when actors took the stage with no mikes - like um, when we all were doing musicals back in high school.  There's some element of respect for talent when you can belt it to the back of the theater without any help.  And on a side note, we miss the days when everyone used to come to the theater in full formal dress.  Maybe it's because we don't get to go to these things very often, or maybe we're just old-school and ok... maybe overdressed, but I was in a dress and he was in a suit and boy was it nice to look nice (not that we don't otherwise)!


Anyhow, overall, I recommend YES, GO see Wicked if it ever becomes available to you!  It's absolutely entertaining and worth it's price.  And while I wouldn't go buy the soundtrack, the music goes with the story without feigning that old-Broadway vibrato but embracing some more modern melody. So take your mans too, he will likey!


Ok, and on a last but totally fun and important note, come FLASHMOB with me!!!!  Well, if you're in New York that is.....................Dhoonya Dance (the Bollywood dance company I teach with) is hosting its first flashmob in NYC on July 30th at Washington Square Park.  Here are the important deets:


Watch these videos to learn the routine and join us at Washington Square Park on July 30th! We will also be teaching the routine(s) in our classes over the next 2 weeks so definitely follow our facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/dhoonyadance) for more info on these classes.


Full Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-9CbxHJSUA
Tutorial 1 (Sheila ki Jawani breakdown): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8ydEq2U72Y
Tutorial 2 (I Hate You (Like I Love You)): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSbOY8ZlJZ8

DETAILS

Email us at flashmob@dhoonyadance.com to get onto the listserv to receive all relevant information for the FlashMob!Location: Washington Square Park
Arrival Time: 6pm
Flash Mob Performance Time: 6:30pm
Dress: Anything bright and colorful--feel free to wear your Dhoonya tee if you have one!


Dhoonya Instructors will start the dance, all other participants will join in at the first Sheila chorus OR can choose to only perform I Hate You (Like I Love You).

Hope to see you guys there!

3 comments:

  1. I would love to see that Wicked show one day! Hope you had a great time.

    I am back from hibernation and have a giveaway, hope you will come check it out ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog! I am following you. I got a giveaway at my blog and I would love you to enter. <3<3

    ReplyDelete